Running is a common form of exercise and enjoyment for many of our patients. Runners, whether recreational, semi-competitive or elite, require a delicate balance of strength, flexibility and optimal biomechanics for an efficient and enjoyable performance.
The large majority of runners will experience a running-related injury at some point in their lives. Through video analysis and individualized treatment plans, our team of physical therapists can help patients improve form and return to running without pain.
Our goal at the GW Running Clinic is to help you get back to running again. Here is what to expect when working with our team of experts:
- An initial assessment with our Sports Medicine Physician, Dr. Geet Paul, to discuss prior injuries, running goals and injury prevention strategies.
- A thorough musculoskeletal evaluation with a physical therapist to determine if your movement patterns or anatomic structures could be contributing to your pain and/or inefficiencies in running form.
- Running assessment using video technology to provide a more in-depth and detailed look at your technique. Video analysis enables clinicians to break down your form using frame-by-frame visualization. This helps us better understand why and how your form might be contributing to pain and dysfunction when running.
- Coaching on evidence-based return-to-running protocols after injury to safely enable a full return to running activities.
- Creation of an individualized physical therapy program to address musculoskeletal imbalances or compensations contributing to pain or overuse injuries. Your physical therapist will help you restore muscular balance by improving flexibility, strengthening weak muscles and reducing overworked muscles that may be compensating for weakness elsewhere.
The AlterG® Treadmill
The AlterG Treadmill uses differential air pressure to reduce your bodyweight up to 80 percent, allowing you to move without pain while still maintaining your normal running gait pattern. A built-in video gait analysis further enhances the therapist’s ability to diagnosis and treat your running impairments.
To make an appointment at the GW Running Clinic please call 202-715-5655, option 2.
Commonly Treated Injuries
We treat many running injuries including:
- Achilles Tendinitis/Tendinosis
- Plantar Heel Pain/Plantar Fasciitis/Foot Pain
- Patellofemoral Syndrome/Knee Pain/Runner’s Knee
- Iliotibial (IT) Band Syndrome
- Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome/Shin Splints
- Stress Fractures
- Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome
- Femoral Acetabular Impingement/Hip Impingement
- Hamstring Tendinopathy
- Back Pain