COVID-19 Visitor Restrictions
We have revised our Visitation Policies to help protect our patients and their loved ones.
Guidelines for Visitors
Visitors can often be “good medicine” for patients. Family members and friends are welcome to visit but patient care is always our primary concern. We ask that you follow the following guidelines established to help maintain a peaceful, healing environment for our patients:
- All visitors must provide a valid form of photo identification and the name of the patient they are visiting.
- Children ages 13 years and under are not permitted in the hospital unless accompanied by an adult at all times.
- No more than two visitors should be in a patient's room at one time. If you are visiting a patient in a semi-private rooms, please be considerate of both patients.
- People who have colds, sore throats or any contagious diseases should not visit patients.
- Please keep visits short.
- Visitors should avoid creating unnecessary noise to help maintain a quiet environment.
- Visitors are asked to observe quiet times daily from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and after 9 p.m. Quiet times give our patients additional time to rest and recover.
- Visitors may be asked to leave the room when the doctor or nurse needs to see the patient.
- Visitors should ask before giving gifts of food or beverages because many patients have special or restricted diets.
- Plants and flowers are not permitted in the critical care units.
- In order to protect confidential patient information and privacy rights of hospital staff, the use of recording devices such as cameras (including cell phone cameras), video recorders, audio recorders or any other type of equipment used to capture or record images and/or sound by patients or visitors is prohibited. Some exceptions apply on the Women’s Services Unit and the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (please see the Child Birth packet for specifics). Please respect the privacy of others and speak to the GW Hospital Patient Advocate at 202-715-4195 if you have any concerns.
Hospital Visiting Hours
- Medical Surgical Units: 6 a.m. - 10 p.m.
- Women's Services: 6 a.m. - 10 p.m.
- NICU: 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU): 6 a.m. - 10 p.m.
Any personal information about a patient’s diagnosis and treatment must come from the patient’s physician. This information is available only to designated members of the patient’s family or those designated by the patient.
There are designated lounge areas for visitors on each patient floor. Specific waiting areas have been designated for families and friends of patients in the critical care units, the Emergency Department and surgery on the first floor.
Accommodations for out-of-town visitors are available at nearby hotels. The hospital has preferred rates with several area hotels.
Street parking is limited and metered.
Patient and Visitor Parking is available 24 hours—7 days a week in the GW University Science and Engineering Hall Garage at 800 22nd Street, NW. (Entrance is West of 22nd Street on H Street.) Parking validation is not available. Contact University Parking Services at 202-994-PARK
Valet parking is available from 6 a.m. – 7:30 p.m., Monday-Friday. The valet service is located near the front entrance of the hospital at 900 23rd Street, NW.
The cost is a flat rate of $25 per day.
Vehicles must be picked up by 7:30 p.m. Vehicles left in valet after 7:30 p.m. will be available for pick up the next business day.
Because of the hospital’s interest in good health, and in accordance with local laws, The GW Hospital is a smoke-free environment. For this reason, smoking is prohibited in the hospital, outside our entrances and on our property. This includes electronic cigarettes.
Located on the Lobby Level, the cafeteria is open seven days a week for service as follows:
Monday - Friday
6:30 to 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. (Closed between 9:30 a.m. - 11 a.m.)
7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
7 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
Holiday hours dependent upon holiday.
Hours: 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Located in the cafeteria.
Monday - Friday, 6:30 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, 7a.m. - 11 p.m.
Holiday hours dependent upon holiday.
Vending machines are located in the cafeteria, Emergency Room waiting area and visitors’ lounges on the third, fourth and fifth floors.
GW Hospital does not discriminate against patient visitors. Visitors are those individuals identified by the patient (or his/her representative) as playing a significant role in an individual’s life who have full and equal visitation privileges, regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
We recognize that care partners or support persons are individuals identified by the patient as being the closest to provide emotional, spiritual and physical support. This may be a friend, relative or life partner.