Hospitalization is a stressful time for patients, families and friends. The Department of Spiritual Care at The George Washington University Hospital has trained professionals who can offer support during these stressful times.
Both patients and visitors are welcome to visit The George Washington University Hospital Women's Board Interfaith Chapel is on the first floor, directly opposite Admissions and next to the Volunteer Office.
Chaplins can help in many ways, including when patients:
- Struggle with the meaning of your illness
- Have concerns with spiritual issues
- Wrestle with difficult treatment choices
- Request a religious ritual specific to your tradition
- Express anxiety or fear or to confide in a "safe" person
- Receive bad news
- Are far from home and would like support
- Are anticipating surgery
- Would like someone to pray with or receive a blessing
- Grieving a loss
Services We Provide
- Preoperative visits
- Response to code blues
- End of life rituals
- Memorial services
- Palliative care rounds
- In-service presentations
- Communion services for Catholics and Protestants
Department of Spiritual Care
The George Washington University Hospital
A chaplain is available on-site from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and can be reached by RF phone at 5114, or by paging 202-209-4277. An on-call chaplain is available evenings and weekends by paging 202-209-4277.
Chaplain Request Line:
For non-emergencies, leave a message at 202-715-5329.
For immediate help, call 202-209-4277.