Managing Maternal and Fetal Complications
Having a difficult pregnancy? It’s important to choose a hospital that is prepared with the specialists and advanced technology you need. We help patients facing high-risk pregnancy with close supervision to help manage complications.
Maternal fetal medicine specialists at GW Hospital have training and expertise in screening, testing and managing maternal or fetal complications using advanced ultrasound (including 3D and 4D capabilities), along with diagnostic testing when required. In addition, our Level III B Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) is there should your baby need specialized care after delivery.
Schedule an In-Person or Virtual Appointment
Please fill out our general appointment form below or call our referral service at 888-4GW-DOCS to schedule an in-person or virtual appointment. Virtual Health enables you to speak with providers using your phone, tablet or computer.
Pregnancy Complications We Treat
We offer specialized services needed to care for pregnancy complications including:
- Abnormal amniotic fluid volume
- Abnormal first trimester screening
- Abnormal placentation
- Advanced maternal age
- Abnormal maternal serum
- Cardiac disease
- Decreased fetal movement
- Diabetes mellitus
- Family history of chromosomal or birth defect, mental retardation or hereditary disorder
- Fetal arrhythmia
- Fetus at risk for abnormal growth
- History of repetitive pregnancy losses
- Multiple gestation
- Post dates pregnancy
- Preterm labor
- Risk for cervical incompetence
- Suspected abnormality on prior sonographic exam
- Teratogen exposure
- Vaginal bleeding during pregnancy
'I chose GW Hospital because I wanted my baby to have a chance.'
Lamika Hines had a history of miscarriage and high-risk pregnancies. Hines had been told she shouldn’t have more children and was surprised when she became pregnant. Her obstetrician at GW, Scott M Petersen, MD, FACOG, was there to support her every step of the way to the successful, natural delivery of her youngest child.
Watch Lamika's story:
- Maternal fetal medicine evaluations, assessments and management of medical complications such as diabetes, high blood pressure and recurrent pregnancy loss
- Prenatal screening and diagnosis
- Genetic counseling and carrier screening
- High resolution ultrasound examinations and fetal monitoring
- Preconception counseling