GW Hospital volunteers provide non-medical comfort and care to patients and assist hospital departments. Tasks may include transporting patient, delivering the book cart, sorting and stocking supplies, assisting with special projects and providing general information to hospital patients and visitors.
- Commitment to a minimum of two 4-hour shifts per week for six consecutive months*
- Must be 18 years or older
- Application, letter of recommendations, resume, health clearance and background check
- Orientation prior to start date
- A sincere interest in helping others
- Professionalism and a positive attitude about your commitment to the hospital, patients, visitors and staff
- Physical ability to perform volunteer work as some areas may require some lifting, kneeling and/or walking
*Commitment for summer volunteers (college students only) is a minimum of two 4-hour shifts for 10 consecutive weeks
We do not offer:
- Opportunities to shadow physicians, nurses and therapists
- Short-term (less than six months) volunteer positions (with the exception of the summer volunteer period)
- Volunteer opportunities in the business units, sterile processing, medical records, the lab or the surgical suite
- Opportunities for individuals under the age of 18
- Opportunities working with infants or children
NEW APPLICATION PROCESS AND REQUIREMENTS
Volunteer Application Periods:
Summer: Applications accepted from May 8 - June 12, 2017
Fall: Applications accepted from August 21 - September 18, 2017
In order to be considered, your application, resume and health forms must be submitted prior to the close of the submission period.
- Complete the online application during the above noted application periods only. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Submit your current resume and one academic or professional letter of recommendation (both in PDF format only) to email@example.com.
- Submit the health assessment forms to GW Hospital Employee Health by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (202-715-4587). All items submitted to our Employee Health office must be labeled with Volunteer Application and the applicants full name.
- Once all materials are received, the most highly qualified applicants will be contacted by the volunteer services coordinator for an interview.
- Background Check: the volunteer coordinator will discuss this step with you during the interview if you are selected.
- After you have met all requirements, you will be invited to an onsite orientation.
Reiki Volunteer Application
Reiki volunteers must submit an application that is different from the general GW volunteer form. Please complete the Reiki Volunteer Application if you are interested in becoming a GW Hospital Reiki Volunteer.
Thank you, again, for your interest in volunteering with us at The George Washington University Hospital.