Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the George Washington University Hospital. Volunteers are a vital part of our hospital and create a difference in the lives of our patients, visitors and staff every day. The GW Hospital volunteer program offers an excellent opportunity to gain experience by providing non-medical support to our patients and staff, exploring careers in healthcare, and giving back to the community.
GW Hospital volunteers provide support throughout the hospital, greeting our guests and staff at the concierge desk, delivering floral arrangements and packages, sorting and stocking supplies and assisting with special projects. If you are interested in joining our volunteer family, we invite you to learn more about our program requirements.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Commitment to volunteer for a period of three months to one year or longer with a minimum of 100 volunteer hours per year or 30 hours per three months for seasonal volunteers
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism and respect to all patients, visitors and staff
- Ability to complete volunteer duties in accordance with GW Hospital policies and standards
- Physical ability to perform volunteer work as some areas may require some lifting, kneeling and/or walking
- Submission of online application, resume and a recommendation letter
- Completion of GW Hospital’s health clearance process, background and drug screening process
- Completion of volunteer interview and orientation prior to start date
The GW Hospital online volunteer application is accessible year-round. However, applications received outside of the advised quarterly application periods will not be considered until the next quarterly application period begins.
Quarterly Application Periods:
Quarter Application Acceptance Period
Q1 January 1st to January 15th
Q2 April 1st to April 15th
Q3 July 1st to July 15th
Q4 Oct 1st to Oct 15th
* Please note applicant start dates will vary based on completion of the application process. Additional details will be provided throughout the application process.
We are available via email (email@example.com) to answer any questions that you may have about the application process. Please note that application submission does not guarantee volunteer placement, and that volunteer opportunities are available according to GW Hospital needs. Although we must consider volunteer opportunities based on hospital need first, we will make every attempt to offer a broad range of opportunities to eligible volunteer applicants.
Your application, resume, and recommendation letter must be submitted prior to the close of the submission period. Applications missing either a resume and/or recommendation letter are considered incomplete and will prevent you from being considered as an applicant.
Application processing takes approximately 4-6 weeks. Below are the volunteer application steps:
- Complete the online application during the above noted application periods.
- Submit your current resume and one academic or professional recommendation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit your completed health assessment forms to the GW Hospital Employee Health Office via email (email@example.com) or in person along with your photo ID. The Employee Health Office is open Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and is located at 900 23rd Street NW, Washington, DC 20032. (The health clearance process includes: completion of health clearance forms, 2 step PPD skin tests, confirmation of all necessary vaccinations, and an in person health assessment. This process must be completed within 30 days of volunteer application submission.)
- Upon receipt of all required materials, eligible volunteer applicants will be contacted by the Volunteer Services Coordinator to schedule an interview.
- Qualified volunteer applicants will then receive instructions on how to complete the background and drug screening process.
- Volunteer applicants that have completed GW Hospital’s health clearance process, background and drug screening process will then be invited for an onsite orientation.
Thank you again for your interest in volunteering with us at the George Washington University Hospital. We look forward to receiving your volunteer application.
Reiki Volunteer Application
Reiki volunteers must submit an application that is different from the general GW volunteer form. Please complete the Reiki Volunteer Application if you are interested in becoming a GW Hospital Reiki Volunteer.
Thank you again for your interest in volunteering with us at the George Washington University Hospital.