Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the George Washington University Hospital. Volunteers are a vital part of our hospital and create a difference in the lives of our patients, visitors and staff every day. The GW Hospital volunteer program offers an excellent opportunity to gain experience by providing non-medical support to our patients and staff, exploring careers in healthcare, and giving back to the community.
GW Hospital volunteers provide support throughout the hospital, greeting our guests and staff at the concierge desk, delivering floral arrangements and packages, sorting and stocking supplies and assisting with special projects. If you are interested in joining our volunteer family, we invite you to learn more about our program requirements.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- A volunteer commitment of 100 hours and six months. Volunteers must denote their intent during the application process to become a Seasonal Volunteer or a Core Volunteer:
- Seasonal Volunteers fulfill their hours quarterly by volunteering a minimum of 25 hours each quarter
- Core Volunteers must commit to a minimum of 100 hours over a 12-month period which is tracked from their first shift up to fulfillment of their first 100 hours
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism and respect to all patients, visitors and staff
- Ability to complete volunteer duties in accordance with GW Hospital policies and standards
- Physical ability to perform volunteer work as some areas may require some lifting, kneeling and/or walking
- Submission of online application, resume and a recommendation letter
- Completion of a volunteer interview
- Completion of GW Hospital's health clearance process, background and drug screening process
- Completion of a volunteer orientation prior to start date
The GW Hospital online volunteer application is only accessible during quarterly application periods.
Quarterly Application Periods:
Quarter Application Acceptance Period
Q1 January 1st to January 15th
Q2 April 1st to April 15th
Q3 July 1st to July 15th
Q4 Oct 1st to Oct 15th
* Please note applicant start dates will vary based on completion of the application process. Additional details will be provided throughout the application process.
We are available via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to answer any questions that you may have about the application process. Please note that application submission does not guarantee volunteer placement, and that volunteer opportunities are available according to GW Hospital needs. Although we must consider volunteer opportunities based on hospital need first, we will make every attempt to offer a broad range of opportunities to eligible volunteer applicants.
*Your resume and letter of recommendation are required to submit your online application.
*Our online application works best with Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
Application processing takes approximately four to six weeks. Please see below for a summary of our application process:
- Complete the online application during the above noted application periods.
- You will need to upload your current resume and letter of recommendation as a part of your online application.
- Upon receipt of your completed application with supporting documentation, eligible volunteer applicants will be contacted by The George Washington University Hospital volunteer team to schedule an interview.
- Qualified volunteer applicants will then receive instructions on how to complete a background check, drug screen and employee health clearance.
- Volunteer applicants who have completed the interview, the health clearance process, background check and drug screening process will then be invited for an onsite orientation.
Thank you again for your interest in volunteering with us at the George Washington University Hospital. We look forward to receiving your volunteer application.