From the CEO
Where the future of healthcare begins
As you read the fall edition of Health News, you’ll notice a theme:
- The Neurosciences Institute, one of the premier neurological centers in the world.
- An accredited Bariatric Center of Excellence,® recognized by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program.
- The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines® Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award and Target: Stroke Honor Roll, which designates our achieving a higher standard of stroke care.
- And in the field of orthopaedics … a Blue Distinction® Center for knee and hip replacement by CareFirst® BlueCross® and BlueShield.®
- This year, we also became an Aetna Institute of Quality® in the area of spine surgery and BlueCross and BlueShield recently named us as a Blue Distinction® Center for cardiac care.
The theme is simple. When you walk through our doors, you know that the George Washington University Hospital is recognized as a leader in providing better healthcare and outcomes. We are led by some of the finest physicians practicing in the nation’s capital and we are setting the course of the future.
To us, Defining Medicine — our campaign launched last spring — refers to our capacity as a system to think, study, research, discover, evaluate, teach, learn, perfect and innovate. Our awards and accreditations all tie in. Our medical faculty trains the next generation of doctors. We solve complex medical cases. We innovate. We define the future of medicine. This is what makes us so unique.
We believe these distinctions will give you further confidence in the care you receive at our hospital. Thank you for reading this issue and welcome to GW Hospital.
Barry A. Wolfman
Chief Executive Officer