Volunteering at GW Hospital
Thank you for your interest in the GW Hospital Volunteer Program!
GW Hospital volunteers provide a valuable service to the hospital. Our volunteers offer non-medical comfort and care to patients and assist hospital departments. Tasks may include patient rounding; book cart rounding; sorting and stocking supplies; assisting with special projects; and providing general information to hospital patients and visitors. We seek dedicated and mature volunteers who are able to serve a minimum of two 4-hour shifts per week, for a minimum of six consecutive months.
- Commitment to a minimum of two 4-hour shifts per week for six consecutive months*
- Must be 18 years or older
- Application, letter of recommendations, resume, health clearance and background check
- Orientation prior to start date
- A sincere interest in helping others
- Professionalism and a positive attitude about your commitment to the hospital, patients, visitors and staff
- Physical ability to perform volunteer work as some areas may require some lifting, kneeling and/or walking
*Commitment for summer volunteers (college students and educators only) is a minimum of two 4-hour shifts for 10 consecutive weeks
We do not offer:
- Shadowing opportunities (we do not offer shadowing of physicians, nurses and therapists)
- Short-term (less than six months) volunteer positions (with the exception of the summer volunteer period)
- Volunteer opportunities in the business units, sterile processing, medical records, the lab or the surgical suite
- Opportunities for individuals under the age of 18
- Opportunities working with infants or children
NEW APPLICATION PROCESS AND REQUIREMENTS
2016 Volunteer Application Periods:
- Fall: Applications accepted from July 21, 2016 at 9 a.m. - September 1, 2016 at noon.
- Winter: Applications accepted from October, 17 - December, 12, 2016.
In order to be considered, your application, resume and health forms must be submitted prior to the close of the submission period. Please note: incomplete applications will not be considered. Thank you for your understanding.
I am interested in volunteering! What's next?
- Complete the online application during the above noted application periods only.
- Submit your current resume and one academic or professional letter of recommendation (both in PDF format only) to email@example.com.
- Submit the health screening forms to GW Hospital Employee Health by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (202-715-4587). Please include the Volunteer Application Cover Sheet (included in the PDF of health clearance forms on the right) in all documents that are being faxed to the Employee Health Office.
- Once all materials are received, the most highly qualified applicants will be contacted by the volunteer services coordinator for an interview.
- Background Check: the volunteer coordinator will discuss this step with you during the interview if you are selected.
- Orientation. After you have met all requirements, you will be invited to an onsite orientation.
Thank you, again, for your interest in volunteering with us at The George Washington University Hospital.