The GWUH Women's Board, Inc.
A Philanthropic Powerhouse Celebrating over 112 Years of Dedicated Service
Nearly every part of The George Washington University Hospital has been touched by the dedicated members of The Women's Board. Founded in 1898 by prominent Washingtonian ladies, The Women's Board has evolved into a philanthropic powerhouse consisting of more than 70 members. The Women's Board was first authorized by a Columbian University ordinance dated April 13, 1898 empowering its founders, a mere handful of prominent Washington women, to organize for the purpose of assisting the Hospital in its advancement and capabilities by providing financial support for the acquisition of new technical equipment and other improvements and by rendering services to its patients and staff.
On October 7, 1898, the group officially organized as the Board of Lady Managers, steadily increasing to 100 members with an associate membership of which one third were men. Columbian University was rededicated as The George Washington University in 1904. A few years later, the organization's name was changed to the Women's Board, The George Washington University Hospital. In 2004, the name was changed officially to The George Washington University Hospital Women's Board, Inc. (Women's Board) when the Women's Board became incorporated. The Women's Board continues its dedicated service to the hospital, university and surrounding community.
The George Washington University Hospital Women's Board, Inc. is a nonprofit organization. Tax ID 43-2058202.